Hesson cites ‘conditions’ the reason behind Haris Rauf’s exclusion
Fresh off a spectacular Big Bash League (BBL) season, red-hot Haris Rauf is not a part of Pakistan’s 15-man squad for the T20 World Cup next month in Sri Lanka. Haris finished his stint with Melbourne Stars as the league’s highest wicket-taker.
Sri Lankan conditions demand fewer pacers
However, Pakistan’s head coach, Mike Hesson, said Rauf was not considered the right fit for Sri Lankan conditions, particularly when the pace attack already has three genuine pace-bowling options.
“When we decided to only take three seamers in Sri Lanka, there were obviously going to be some key seamers," Hesson said.
Besides Haris, Pakistan also left out Mohammad Wasim Jr to include Shaheen Shah Afridi, Naseem Shah, and Salman Mirza. According to Hesson, the three were preferred owing to their ability to bowl throughout the game and share the burden with the spinners, who are expected to do the heavy lifting on Sri Lankan pitches.
"Wasim Jr, Ahmed Daniyal and Haris Rauf were certainly considered, but unfortunately there’s no spot. The three that are going, Shaheen Afridi, Naseem Shah and Salman Mirza, can all bowl in all three phases of the game, which is really important when you’re potentially going to play two in Sri Lanka,” he added.
Faheem as the fourth pace bowling option
Pakistan have decided to go light on pacers with all-rounder Faheem Ashraf being the fourth pace-bowling option. That is somewhat uncharacteristic of them, as pace has generally been the side’s strongest suit. But Hesson believes the conditions would not need a pace-packed bowling attack to succeed.
“In previous World Cups and previously, we have always taken an extra seamer there because conditions have dictated that, whereas in this situation we haven’t gone down that path. We have only picked three frontline seamers, with Faheem Ashraf as the all-rounder if we decide to play three, so that was pretty straightforward, and some very good players missed out.”
Haris last played a T20I in September last year, in the 2025 Asia Cup final against India. His two overs at death, where he conceded 26 runs in 10 balls, gave India a chance to make a strong comeback, which they cashed immediately to get over the line.
ALSO READ:
PSL 2026 player auction to be held on February 11, confirms PCB- IPL