Broadcasters Set Legal Action if Pakistan Skips India Clash at T20 World Cup 2026

The ICC has warned Pakistan that if they skip the February 15 match against India in Colombo, the cricket board could face legal trouble from the official broadcaster. Pakistan’s government has already confirmed on X that the team will not play the fixture, stating the decision is a protest in support of Bangladesh, who were replaced by Scotland for the tournament.
ICC Warns PCB of Legal and Financial Consequences Over India Match Boycott
According to a PTI report, the ICC might stop Pakistan from getting its full yearly share of about USD 35 million and instead use that money to pay broadcasters. A PCB source said chairman Mohsin Naqvi had consulted the board’s legal team before updating Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on the matter last week, but the board is now preparing for potentially severe repercussions. As per reports, the Pakistan board have already held multiple meetings with their legal team about the consequences. PCB chief Mohsin Naqvi has also spoken to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif about the same and they are interestingly ready to suffer consequences, if any.
“If Pakistan doesn't relent and play against India, not only will they face financial penalties, perhaps a lawsuit from broadcasters but also any efforts to go to the ICC Dispute Resolution Committee (DRC) are likely to fail,” a PCB source told PTI.
“The PCB might face problems regardless of their government directive to not play India as they are playing all their matches at a neutral venue (Sri Lanka) as per their wishes and not in India," another PCB source said.
“Secondly, while the Indian government has not given permission to its team to play in Pakistan, it has not stopped them from playing against Pakistan at neutral venues in Asia Cup or ICC events even after the May conflict," the board source, who tracks Naqvi closely, added.
When the ICC signed its broadcasting deal with JioStar (the host broadcaster), it was promised India vs Pakistan matches. The payment was made keeping those high-profile games in mind. Because of this, the source said JioStar has the full right to go to court, as not providing those matches would be a major breach of the contract.
“So the broadcaster will be within its rights to take the PCB and ICC to court over a major breach of the contract,” the source added.